[lbo-talk] Recent Growth & Bush's Economic Policy

Devine, James jdevine at lmu.edu
Tue Dec 23 09:16:03 PST 2003

it seems to me that extended reproduction is a global process, with the US playing a major role in it. But for these questions, it seems to me that a standard (orthodox) analysis is appropriate. The US is currently stimulating the rest of the world's aggregate demand, via its current-account deficit. Corresponding to this is the US capital account surplus, which represents a flow of cash into the US to buy US assets (in effect to lend the US money, lowering the US net worth).

The continued fall in the US dollar will have the following effects:

1. an increase in the demand for US exports and a fall in US imports, encouraging the current boom(let?) to persist.

2. a fall in the demand for rest-of-the-world exports and a rise in ROW imports, except for in China and other countries which are keeping their currencies from rising relative to the US$. This encourages recession or slower demand growth in these countries.

to a large extent, on a global level, #1 and #2 cancel out, since it's simply a matter of switching demand from the ROW to the US.

3. a rising price of US products, due to import prices rising in dollar terms (including those of most raw materials) and US exports facing less competition. Just as the "high dollar" encouraged low US inflation, its demise encourages a surge in inflation. In this case, it is likely that the Fed will drop its low-interest policy, though possibly this will happen only after the 2004 election. This encourages a second dip of the Dubya recession, especially given excessive consumer debt and the housing bubble.

4. this corresponds to lower prices in the ROW, which might encourage the threat of world deflation to rear its ugly head again.

------------------------ Jim Devine jdevine at lmu.edu & http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine