[lbo-talk] Re: Godel's Proof of God

Kenneth MacKendrick kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Tue Dec 23 09:45:01 PST 2003

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-admin at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-admin at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of BklynMagus

There have been pro-queer believers and non-believers as well as anti-queer believers and non-believers. So is the vital question whether or not one believes or is it how one behaves in life?

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister

** This is number three for me, so now I get to take the rest of the day off. Just as many religious traditions don't have creeds, many religious traditions DO have creeds... so what you believe is VERY important. We can't just brush off "belief" by focusing on "behaviour." Yes, I think focusing on behaviour is a necessary corrective to the study of religion - since it is painfully obvious that the focus on belief didn't pan out. But we have to keep both in mind... even if belief counts for very little... we still can't disregard it altogether.

Speaking of Buddhism, I just started reading Liz Wilson's "Charming Cadavers" - a rather graphic study of the male practice of meditating on decomposing female corpses in order to quell desire. [BTW - this is why I object to religion being equated with science (however primitive). Scientists look a decomposing bodies too, especially to help them with forensics; but this isn't exactly the same thing is it?]

ken