[lbo-talk] Atheism

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue Dec 23 13:29:34 PST 2003

Message: 14 From: "Kenneth MacKendrick"

--clip- What we call "religion" is a particular way of being in the world, owing to the intensification of feelings in the presence of certain objects or states of mind. If anything - I would say that "religion" is the "primal' experience of what we moderns experience as secular hygiene. "Religious adherents" (in quotes because I'm making a ridiculous generalisation here) perceive the world as dirty and clean in a supernatural sense (pure and impure, sacred and profane). We moderns perceive it similarly, but in a secular sense. It is religious, but we don't perceive it as such (I would lean toward an anthropological definition of religion). Our most vivid reactions are modifications of this anthropological response to our cognitive classifications.

^^^^^^

CB: Do you use the concepts of "culture" and "worldview" ?