[lbo-talk] three faces of fascism

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 24 05:13:22 PST 2003

Speaking of the F word and our wonderful Nazi interloper, does anyone know of any sociological data on who actually joins such groups in the contemporary West? It would seem to be a pretty whacked-out kind of person who's going to identify with the most reviled political regime in history. I don't mean Fascism, I mean Nazism (which are different but related phenomenon in my opinion; I think Arendt was right on this). I can imagine a rational person in Italy, say, positively appraising Mussolini as a figure who made the trains run on time, but Hitler has no plusses at all. (I read somewhere that the Italian Fascists only executed 13 people for political purposes; Hitler whacked 400 just on the Night of the Long Knives).

I mean, are these typically uneducated types? What class to they generally come from? I'm sure Chip has reams of material on this.