[lbo-talk] RE: aetheism

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Wed Dec 24 09:49:55 PST 2003

Jon "For the sake of the present discussion, by "religion" I mean what most people mean when they say "organized religion," since it's the religions organizations, especially certain Christian ones, that are politically important in the U.S. Meditation by individuals is significantly different from "organized religion," but it is not politically significant in the U.S. at this point."

The current discussion partly related to whether the left needed to grapple with religious/spiritual issues other than to denounce them as "the opium of the people." In this respect, I am arguing that being able to speak of religious feeling/practices that fall outside of organized religion is important.

Joanna