[lbo-talk] Old Left v WSF etc

Todd Archer todda39 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 25 09:12:22 PST 2003

>Nevertheless, there is no doubt that given certain inbuilt checks like
>barring political parties from participating in it, forbidding of common
>statements and communiqus etc - precisely the kind of checks being opposed
>by the MR - this space cannot be fully hijacked. No party can therefore
>determine its content.

Curious how that last sentence contradicts the previous. The content's already been decided at the outset by the party of the WSF as to what's not included.

>The idea behind this is simple but beyond the comprehension of the Old
>Left: the WSF is precisely an occasion for making contact, exchanging
>opinions, learning to know each other so that movements can break out of
>their isolation and form alliances and coalitions. It is emphatically not a
>forum of organized resistance.

Except against the Old Left, then it seems to close ranks and get organized quite neatly.

Are there any groups in the WSF "sympathetic" to the "vanguardists"?

>Resistances and struggles continue - at every point where power is
>exercised. The WSF merely provides a space for the emergence of new
>solidarities for these alone, not vanguardist sects, will become the
>vehicles of the politics of a different world of equals.

While the writer makes a good point about "vanguardist sects" not helping, I fail to see how any group of people so fetishistically opposed to hierarchy are going to dirty their hands in official politics. Guess it's just going to have to be marching apart for now . . . .

Todd

_________________________________________________________________ Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/photos&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca