[lbo-talk] Old Left v WSF etc

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 25 13:13:29 PST 2003

Doug wrote:

Massimo de Angelis has an interesting piece, which I'm not sure how much I agree with, on the virtues of plurivocality at the Commoner link.

Commoner: <http://www.commoner.org.uk/>.

Very interesting piece.

This *old left* vs. *new left* stuff has, in recent years, become more clearly defined I think.

de Angelis for example, seems to be arguing not for a political change alone but for a thorough modification - evolution even - of human behavior in ways that make democratic and just ways of thinking the norm.

The vision appears to be of a self-propelled, collaborative, non-hierarchical species improvement program.

I could be wrong but I believe it's quite novel for political/social activists to think in these ways.

It's easy to understand the many points of conflict which will arise from any meeting between political theorists of whatever orthodoxy and people with this essentially meta-political POV.

Right now, I'm not sure to what extent I agree but it's very intriguing and seems to be the sort of thing needed for forward movement.

DRM