[lbo-talk] Merry Christmas!

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Fri Dec 26 08:34:00 PST 2003

> There are many things to celebrate in our lives. It ain't all grim
> determination and living through hell in tortured revolutionary angst.
>
> Having children, that's an easy one for me, to keep my head above water.
> And my eyes open. There is nothing in life that can get me down enough
> to "stop trying" because they are right there. Looking up at me. With
> trust and faith.
>
> Mike Larkin made a great post recently about the religious left having
> more staying power, being less likely to take tactical defeat as
> strategic defeat.
>
> Don't get down.

> Ken.

Yes, yes! Total agreement here.

For me and mine, the past two days have been filled with love & hope & faith in better things. The light that binds us all together is real. I've seen it. Felt it.

On Christmas Eve, my wife took me and the kids to a local AME church that she attends now and then. They had a very simple, humble, candle-lit service, and it was incredibly inspiring. The minister spoke about poverty and the war, and the congregation, small but devoted, were open, warm, loving. I got the feeling from them that you could knock them down three times a day, every day, and they'd still get up to live, love and struggle. I've rarely gotten this feeling from my more jaded, "educated" friends and colleagues.

Ken is right -- don't get down.

DP