[lbo-talk] RE: Xmas message

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Fri Dec 26 14:56:10 PST 2003

On Friday, December 26, 2003, at 02:51 PM, Eubulides wrote:

> Why, in history, are there all the various attempts by groups to
> privilege
> their interpretation of reality and society at all and to impose it on
> others? From what does this 'need' [for lack of a better term due to my
> own limitations] come?

I think it's due to security concerns: if someone has a different view of reality from mine, it's harder for me to predict how she or he will act towards me, and I might be harmed by her or him. At least that's how the human brain seems to be wired up to react. Of course, if you think about it, people with the same religious views, or philosophical views, kill, rob, and cheat each other all the time, but we're talking about the way the brain works when its thinking apparatus is disengaged.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ Belinda: Ay, but you know we must return good for evil. Lady Brute: That may be a mistake in the translation.

-- Sir John Vanbrugh: The Provok’d Wife (1697), I.i.