[lbo-talk] The Economics of Depression (was: Merry Christmas!)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Dec 26 15:12:29 PST 2003

DoreneFC at aol.com wrote:

> --Pills do work for some people; for other people, no amount of pills
> will help if they do not also have talk therapy, measures to fight
> social isolation, and support networks, coincidentally for other
> threads, several concepts that are associated with regular practice of
> religion....

Indeed. And of course depression can lead to low income which can lead to social isolation which can lead to . . . .It can be a very vicious circle. There have been many people in the local support group who suffered at least as much from no money as from their illness. And in a locality with little public transportation that in itself can become an isolating factor.

Of course my psychiatriest socks me $85 for a 7-minute appointment in which he says houw are you and do you need new prescriptons, which he then scribbles out. The co-payment for therapist was only $15 a session. I'm now going only 4 times a year & not claiming insurance: the charge is $100.00 an hour. I figure it's worth it to have something to divide up the year. Time lacks divisions after one is retired.

Carrol