RES: [lbo-talk] Recent Growth & Bush's Economic Policy

kjkhoo at pro.SoftHome.net kjkhoo at pro.SoftHome.net
Fri Dec 26 05:52:09 PST 2003

At 3:49 PM -0200 25/12/03, Alexandre Fenelon wrote:
> [...]

True, personal living standards don't drop by the same extent, though the impact on different classes would vary, depending on the degree to which the country is self-provisioning for basic consumption items. But to the extent that world trade is denominated in dollars -- and that's true of a lot of resources, goods (incl technology), and services -- then Brazil's command of the same dropped by that extent. It's not simply a question of degree of exposure to trade. Even at limited exposure, there's the need for petroleum, technology, raw materials, intellectual and other resources, etc. This diminished command impacts on future growth potential.

kj khoo