[lbo-talk] Atheism

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 26 19:24:54 PST 2003

Thomas never quite calls them proofs (and rejects as unsound the so-called ontological argument) -- in part because he doesn't think God "exists" as things do (i.e., if you made a complete list of everything in the universe, the list would not properly include "God.") In context (Summa theologiae 1.2.3), he suggests five ways ("viae") that the universe by its existence poses a problem (roughly, "How come?"). The answer -- which he insists is literally unknowable -- "this, we call God" (et hoc dicimus deum). --CGE