[lbo-talk] It destroys your brain...

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sat Dec 27 14:17:59 PST 2003

The bottom line, I think, is that even in GB, the incidence of CJ disease has been very slight. It is much more likely that any given member of this list will be killed by a heart attack, stroke, cancer, or any of those boring old-fashioned conditions, whether they eat beef or not.

I think the popular fascination with CJ disease has two causes: the thought of one's brain having holes eaten into it is peculiarly horrible, and lots of people want to feel that if they can't keep themselves from dying from something or other, they can at least renounce beef-eating and take care of that particular danger, however remote it may be.

(All that said, there is certainly lots of room for improvement in the whole food hygiene system, particularly in the US).

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ When I was a little boy, I had but a little wit, 'Tis a long time ago, and I have no more yet; Nor ever ever shall, until that I die, For the longer I live the more fool am I. -- Wit and Mirth, an Antidote against Melancholy (1684)