[lbo-talk] How to pick a date and the wine you choose to go with the meal

James Nichols janichols at ucdavis.edu
Sat Dec 27 14:39:32 PST 2003

I've read LBO for a while now--trying to 'learn me' some economics--and i've never posted before but I happened upon a question I thought might best be answered here. I found a critique (http://www.poorandstupid.com/2003_12_21_chronArchive.asp#10720429423960995 8) of Krugmans latest article in the nation: "The Death of Horatio Alger." His main point seemed to be Krugman selectively used the data by choosing a year bad year to begin at. My first question is, is there anything to this attack? My second question is about the fact that you obviously have to choose some date to begin analysis so what is the common consensus (I know there probably isn't any) economist have come to about dates to use? Is it simply a matter of all economist massaging data to back up their assumptions? Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

Jim http://www.JimN4.blogspot.com