[lbo-talk] RE: Xmas message

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Sun Dec 28 11:11:53 PST 2003

>On Saturday, December 27, 2003, at 10:11 PM, Bill Bartlett wrote:
>>They had to create their own religion - Protestantism - to compete. This
>>new religion is well adapted to the early accumulative stages of
>>capitalism, but is quite unsuitable for modern economic conditions.

Is this what Protestantism is about down there? In the US Protestants snap up books like "The Prayer of Jabez" that tell them it is not only right to pray for material gain but material gain is a reward from god. If you're wealthy god loves you, generally left unsaid but understood is that if you're poor, well god probably doesn't like you too much. Seems suitable enough in these times to me.

John Thornton