[lbo-talk] RE: Xmas message

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sun Dec 28 12:19:17 PST 2003

Bill Bartlett:

> I have no idea what "cul-cha jazz" is, an obscure branch of American
> music perhaps, but what does it have to do with anything?

"Cul-cha" is slang for culture, to which you referred in an earlier post.

>Learning to think for yourself is
> apparently hard to do if you've been brought up in an environment of
> authoritarianism. So yes, thinking for yourself is likely to be an
> ongoing requirement for radicals.

I think one can think for one's self while believing that a spiritual realm exists, or that humans possess souls (this is all up for discussion as well, which is where the thinking comes in). I don't buy the time-worn concept that independent thought is the personal property of the godless, and reject the propaganda of those who insist it is. "Radical" is another tattered label that could stand some repair.

> (What the hell is a "pwog tribe" BTW, I do wish you would speak English?)

"Pwog" is short for "pwogwessive" which is slang for progressive. I first saw this used by Alex Cockburn, who I believe does speak English, but dunno if he originated it.

DP