[lbo-talk] Palast laughing off Cuomo suit

Gregory Geboski greg at mail.unionwebservices.com
Mon Dec 29 11:39:59 PST 2003

"The real issue," said Palast, "is the right of a reporter to write the facts to the best of his knowledge... "

Well, true. But note that he has not actually defended the truth value of the claim he made, which is (is it not?) a felony corruption charge against Cuomo. Not a good sign. That "to the best of his knowledge" is just what gets dissected in front of a jury in these kind of trials, and it's rarely a pretty sight.

But what is Cuomo's deal? This is ancient history and would have been all but forgotten, buried among Palast's far more damaging claims re other figures. How does he come up with $15 million? Does New York libel law contain a punitive damages provision? Because I can't see how Cuomo could argue $15 worth of damages, let alone $15 million.

Is this a way to get Palast? Is the idea to get the word around that he's a fabricator as a way to shut him up? Did someone rely on Cuomo's notorious thin skin and ego to trump his notorious political cowardice to goad this suit into being? Or is Cuomo capable of this useless and counter-productive gesture all on his own? Because whatever the truth value of Palast's claim, only a fool would want to give him effective carte blanche (through the discovery process) to go through the minute details of a public career. Palast lives for that shit. It's why I like him. It almost allows me to ignore the self-aggrandizement and hyperbole that's dominated too much of his work lately, since "BDMCB" hit.

---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> Reply-To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:13:29 -0500