[lbo-talk] Kurds: More autonomy by Feb 28, or we'll vote on independence

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Dec 29 16:20:55 PST 2003

[More autonomy meaning we should control all the oil in our sector, we should control the military in our secotr, and our sector should be bigger.]

[They have a lot of admirable qualities, and they have suffered enormously, but it looks like when it comes to an ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, the Kurds are going to keep their title as the best in history.]

http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1071251792758

Financial Times; December 28, 2003

Kurds throw up new hurdle to Iraq sovereignty

By Peter Spiegel in Baghdad and David Pilling in Tokyo

Kurdish members of Iraq's governing council are insisting the

country's transitional law include wide-ranging sovereignty rights for

the northern Kurdish areas - including control of their natural

resources and veto powers over Iraqi military movements in the region.

The Kurdish demands are throwing up another hurdle to completing the

statute by the proposed deadline of February 28 even though they

appear highly unlikely to be adopted in full.

But more encouraging news is expected on Monday with an offer by Japan

to write off a substantial amount of the roughly $7bn owed by Iraq in

sovereign debt and interest. The move is likely to be seen as a break

with past Japanese policies on debt forgiveness.

When James Baker, US special envoy on Iraqi debt, visits Tokyo,

Junichiro Koizumi, the Japanese prime minister, will tell him that

Japan "intends to address the issue proactively", according to one

government official.

Kurdish parties have proposed a semi-autonomous governing body, called

the Council of Kurdish Ministers, which must approve all

administrative actions from Baghdad, in a draft version of the

transitional law submitted to the governing council earlier this month

and obtained by the Financial Times.

Officials close to last week's governing council debates said the

Kurdish proposal had suddenly become one of the thorniest issues under

discussion. Other sticking points were the selection process for

members of the new transitional national assembly, which had been

complicated by calls from Shia religious leaders for direct elections,

and the future of the governing council itself, which is scheduled to

be dissolved once sovereignty is handed to the assembly.

Despite Kurdish insistence that the devolved powers be detailed in the

transitional law, coalition officials said they believed the proposal

was a non-starter. The Kurdish provisions are opposed by most Arab

governing council members, and any decision on Iraq's federal

structure is expected to be postponed until a constitutional

convention in 2005.

Even so, Kurdish officials on Sunday were insisting special federal

treatment for Kurdistan be included in the transitional law, warning

that pressure for an independence referendum would grow if the

governing council failed to grant concessions.

"A majority of the people, they say if the Arabs refuse our proposal

we will choose the referendum," said Adel Murad, spokesman for the

Patriotic Union of Kurdistan, headed by governing council member Jalal

Talabani.

Kurdish officials said they were prepared to negotiate about the

proposals, a tacit acceptance that they were unlikely to be adopted in

full. Despite this, the Kurdish proposal is a further indication that

Iraq's various groups are increasingly attempting to include parochial

demands in the transitional law. Shia clerics, particularly grand

ayatollah Ali Sistani, have already succeeded in influencing the

political process.

The Kurdish draft contains other contentious proposals. While it falls

short of demanding immediate geographical changes in what constitutes

the Kurdish areas, it does call for the provinces of Kirkuk and Irbil

to be redrawn to borders before Saddam Hussein came to power in 1968.

The draft also calls for the return of all Kurdish assets seized

during Ba'athist rule.

[c.gif] © Copyright The Financial Times Ltd 2003.