[lbo-talk] Atheism

R rhisiart at charter.net
Mon Dec 29 20:42:15 PST 2003

it's good to see from this thread that god has come a long way since his early days as the hairy thunderer of hebrew mythology.

god's a nice metaphor for the mysteries of the universe which humanity will never understand given the fact our specie's IQ rarely, if ever, exceeds 200 points. (someone on the internet says his IQ is 210.) we are the smartest animal on the planet. but take a look at the competition. metaphor is about where it stops, folks. did someone say an ant has a better chance of understanding the person she's walking across than a human has of understanding god?

given our violent and lousy behavior, anyone who thinks an alien species more technologically advanced and more intelligent than we are would have any interest in communicating with us has got to be nuts. i envision such advanced beings as using the existence of humanity as a tool for scaring their children into good behavior rather than for any other purpose -- as in "eat your spinach or you'll have to spend the night on earth alone." but who would subject their offspring to that given a choice?

GW Bush has got to be the biggest f*** up in high places our society has seen in a long while. it's easy to see he and god are two of the biggest f*** ups one can imagine. god's track record, taking into consideration such things as millenia of faminue, plague, war; the holocaust, conditions in africa today, AIDS, and etc, set him apart as the standard bearer of a world class league of screw balls and failures with shrub as a star member. infinite and unknowable indeed.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Doss" <itschris13 at hotmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Monday, December 29, 2003 5:45 AM Subject: RE: [lbo-talk] Atheism

The answer -- which he
>insists is literally unknowable -- "this, we call God" (et hoc dicimus
>deum). --CGE
>
>^^^^
>CB: How's he "know" they are unknowable ?
---

Man's mind is finite. God is infinite. The finite cannot grasp the infinite.

Said in Heideggerian terms, the business of thought is beings, whereas that by virtue of which beings are beings (i.e. that in terms of which the sentence "x is" is meaningful) cannot itself be a being, and therefore cannot be thought. (Lots of repetition in that sentence -- could be a doo-wop song.)

_________________________________________________________________ Take advantage of our limited-time introductory offer for dial-up Internet access. http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup