[lbo-talk] Atheism

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 30 00:28:44 PST 2003

god's track record, taking into consideration such things as millenia of faminue, plague, war; the holocaust, conditions in africa today, AIDS, and etc, set him apart as the standard bearer of a world class league of screw balls and failures with shrub as a star member. infinite and unknowable indeed.

---

Well, this does imply that human happiness is the highest measure of "good," which neither a Christian nor an ancient Greek for that matter would believe. (CF. Aristotle when he says off the cuff that the highest area of study cannot be man, as it is obvious that there are things more important than human beings).

I'm trying to remember -- I think Luther solved the problem of theodicy by arguing that since God's goodness is unknowable, obviously our puny human understanding of the term what it means when we say that God is "good." I can imagine a race of highly evolved cows would refer to the existence of hamburgers as evidence against God's goodness.

I am not a theist by the way and am neither defending not attacking any of these theological positions.

_________________________________________________________________ Have fun customizing MSN Messenger — learn how here! http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_customize