[lbo-talk] Re: People Who Attend Church More Than Once A Week

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Dec 30 22:58:38 PST 2003

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, John Thornton wrote:

> Go to an employer in retail or almost any service sector job and read the
> applications of entry level personnel. You would be surprised how many ask
> for Sunday morning and Wednesday night free for church service.

Well and good, but I don't think it's more than 5% of the population. (Which remember, is 15 million people). Can you find figures?

And you don't dispute that people who go to Church more than once a week are outnumbered several-fold by people who go once a week, do you?

My original contention was:

1) the group of people who go regularly more than once a week are greatly outnumbered by the group formed of people who don't go to church added to the Christian/Easter Christians; and

2) the voting patterns of both groups probably differ markedly from the group of people who go to Church once a week -- who also greatly outnumber the people who go more than once a week.

Because if both those things are true, Wallis's op-ed argument is at best a melange of baseless assertions; probably dead backwards; and deconstructed critically, offers more comfort to Democrats than Republicans. He compares the two groups of people in set (1) while pretending to talk about the people in set (2); and through this sleight of hand obscures the fact that of two groups in set (1), the one skewed towards the Democrats is larger.

So are you taking issue with either of the numbered points? Do you have URLs or citations for figures? I'm all ears.

Michael