[lbo-talk] sex worker

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Wed Dec 31 08:00:30 PST 2003

No, I wouldn't call it progress. I think of progress as having to do with ending prostitution of every kind. Perhaps, the first step of this progress would be to recognize the extent to which we all prostitute ourselves to survive in this "free market" by which we are all consumed. But it would just be the first step.

Joanna

^^^^^^^^^

(Cf.)

Finally, this movement of opposing universal private property to private property finds expression in the brutish form of opposing to marriage (certainly a form of exclusive private property) the community of women, in which a woman becomes a piece of communal and common property. It may be said that this idea of the community of women gives away the secret of this as yet completely crude and thoughtless communism.[30] Just as woman passes from marriage to general prostitution, [Prostitution is only a specific expression of the general prostitution of the labourer, and since it is a relationship in which falls not the prostitute alone, but also the one who prostitutes - and the latter's abomination is still greater - the capitalist, etc., also comes under this head. - Note by Marx [31]] so the entire world of wealth (that is, of man's objective substance) passes from the relationship of exclusive marriage with the owner of private property to a state of universal prostitution with the community. This type of communism - since it negates the personality of man in every sphere - is but the logical expression of private property, which is this negation.

http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1844/manuscripts/comm.htm#44CC2