[lbo-talk] Atheism

Kenneth MacKendrick kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Wed Dec 31 09:52:02 PST 2003

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-admin at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-admin at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Chris Doss Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 2:29 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Atheism

> I'm trying to remember -- I think Luther solved the problem of theodicy by

arguing that since God's goodness is unknowable...

Well, technically "tis mystery" is not a solution to the problem of theodicy, which requires a rational justification (otherwise we're not doing theodicy). "Tis mystery" is pretty much the stopgap for the entire conversation though - and has been (at least) the footnoted response from every thinker who has ever touched on the subject.

The worst part about the debate is that the whole thing is a red herring, a conversation that once again turns our sights away from the reality of evil and suffering to the consideration of positions that justify and legitimate evil and suffering...

ken