[lbo-talk] New Year's Wish

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 31 15:27:55 PST 2003

Dennis Perrin wrote:

I suppose that's my New Year's wish to all of you. Reject the darkness, the cynical, the depraved, the nihilistic. We'll be exposed to much of that in the coming year, and it won't be easy holding on to the better part of ourselves. But we can at least try, right?

=====================================

Yeah, I can dig that. This is exactly the thing to do.

Happy New Year to one and all.

Lord, what a 21st century it's turning out to be.

When I was a kid, there were two 21st century scenarios running around my brain. They were both smooth as ice in a hockey rink and fun to live in.

There was...

Techno World

You know this place; it's got a big, pinwheel space station in the sky you can visit whenever you want, a lunar base where stuff so cool's going on it defies description, robot butlers and flying cars all brought about by the decisive evolution of human intellect, morality and willingness to cooperate globally. The soundtrack's electronica, the style of governence rational, warfare a fairy tale of ancient times told to restive children.

and when I got a little older there was...

Armani World

Okay, it's like Techno World right? Only the tech isn't quite so high (no flying cars or thinking mechs) the clothing is much, much more stylish and for some reason, everyone's got lots of time to spend in themed nightclubs. Imagine one of the sets from the old James Bond film *Thunderball* and you get an idea of the decor and demeanor. It's democratic, its cosmopolitan, its chic and its also post-conflict stage humanity.

But of course I didn't get either of these. There is instead Richard Perle's crazy bastard imperialism world and machina corporatica world. Not wholly good places these worlds. Death and lies and wasted lives and mis-used tech and bad clothes and gritted teeth and starvation and long commutes and Michael Jackson and relentless worry and little time for fun.

But, as they say, there's nothing for it. These are the times we're given and we must make the most of our efforts with the time given to us.

Besides, there's light too. One small example, LBO-talk.

DRM