[lbo-talk] Iraq & Northern Ireland

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 30 07:16:10 PST 2003

Actually in that case the Chechnya analogy might be closer. You have a combination of a local insurgency with religious fanaticism and a liberal (probably) source of foreign funding. Then again the US attacked Iraq unprovoked wheareas Russia did not commit troops without pretty serious prompting, so I would imagine the "insurgents" have greater popularity at home than say Basayev does in Chechnya (the militants are supposed to have almost zero popular support at present, being blamed for starting the Second Chechen War and the mafiaization of Chechnya in the interwar period. Maskhadov is the only Chechen leader to do even worse on opinion polls than Kadyrov.).

On the other hand, it is much harder to actually stage terrorist attacks in the US from Iraq than it is in Russia from Chechnys for the obvious reason that Russia is not separated from Iraq by a big ocean.

I'm off to trundle my way home through the snow. tata.