FRIDA review

kelley the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Sat Feb 1 10:40:24 PST 2003

At 12:21 PM 2/1/03 -0500, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>Marta rightly criticized the portrayal of disability in _Frida_ a

Do you think she rightly criticized Hayek, though, because that was the heart of her review and that was why the comment about Hayek's bimboness was made?

At 04:03 PM 1/31/03 -0800, Marta Russell wrote:
>Disability WAS central to the film. It was just the dramatically accident
>induced impairment that took the limelight. The polio was omitted, there
>is no two ways around that one.

no one argued that wasn't the case that it was. I was listing a bunch of questions that I think are good questions.

>Kelley, go write a damn thesis then. Mine was a commentary, limited by
>time and space,

Cute debate trick but it doesn't fly. Most of what you've written here is an attempt to restate what I'd already stated and then proceed as if I never said it all.

>Your conclusion is still based on speculation.

I bet you could get a position with Johnny Cochran, too.

> I stated I was speculating at least.

You also claimed it was a plausible speculation. Given the definition of plausible as "Giving a deceptive impression of truth or reliability" I couldn't agree more.

>Indeed everything you write is based on speculation. Really I have more
>to do with my time. Think what you want to think. You can have an
>opinion girl, we all can have one.

You might do well to join alt.support.opinions.stroke.me, then.

If one chooses to put one's opinions on a debate list, then one shouldn't be surprised that someone touches it. I continue to find your individualist accusations unfortunate, particularly given that a structural analysis is precisely what you excel at when discussing ablism.

I'm sorry for the dupe that doubled my post to a shocking and unmanageable 6 k rather than 3 k text. The lower half of inline responses was my jottings/reactions. I cleaned them up, typed the top half of the post and forgot to remove the rest. I'm doubly sorry now that it gives you another opportunity to trot out your favorite logical fallacy: a backhanded attempt to suggest that the only reason I criticize your claims is that I have, compared to you, nothing better to do with my time.

kelley

When you invite an idea over for drinks, it's a good idea to get to know it before you shack up with it.