Unhooking famous violinist

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at sun.com
Sat Feb 1 14:09:06 PST 2003

The best stab I know at sorting out what is going on with popular attitudes is with Judith Thompson's famous paper, in which she presents her violinist hypothetical. Do folks here know this paper? It's widely taught in intro ethical problems classes. You awake and find yourself in a hospital hooked intravenously to a famous violinist, who needs to use your bodily fluids for nine months, or he will die. Can you unhook him? T suggests that you can, even though he's clearly a person, because no person has the right to command another's body for that sort of period. T suggests without great elaboration that the answer is intuitively different if you volunteered to be hooked up, or even if you carelessly put yourself in the situation where you might end up hooked up. The analogies to involuntary, voluntray, and negligent pregenany are obvious.

So, like, why does it make a difference that it's a famous violinist? That little detail is where it ceases to be an "ethical" test case so far as I'm concerned. How about, "you wake up and find that you're hooked up to a human being"...because this whole shtick about how artists/geniuses/blah-blah have more of a right to live than others makes me sick to my stomach.

Joanna