Comcast rejects antiwar ad

W. Kiernan wkiernan at ij.net
Sun Feb 2 08:04:29 PST 2003

Dennis Perrin wrote:

> > To me, it's a bedrock issue. If women can't control reproduction,
> > they're not free, and structurally subordinated to men. I don't see
> > why I should let someone who thinks otherwise speak at my political
> > convention.
> >
> > Doug
>
> Well then, you're not for "choice" -- you're for obedience to a
> line. Which is fine. Just dispense with the "choice" chat and say
> what you really mean.

Dennis, this kind of wordplay won't do at all. As you use it the word "choice" means two distinct things in this thread:

a.) "choice" = the political position that a woman should have the right to choose whether or not to continue her own pregnancy, (as opposed to "anti-choice" or "pro-life" which is the political position that she should NOT have that reproductive choice concerning her own body), and

b.) "choice" = the political position that the Democrats at their '92 convention were wrong in inhibiting the "free speech" of Robert Casey, when they refused to let him address the concvention with his anti-abortion opinions (as opposed to an "anti-choice" position, that it is the privilege of the organizers of a political party's national convention to refuse the podium to proponents of ideas which are in opposition to that party's official platform.)

These are obviously widely different concepts in vastly distant contexts, yet you try to mush them together, as though it is somehow hypocritical to be "pro-choice" with regard to abortion and at the same time "anti-choice" with regard to political convention etiquette. Come on.

Yours WDK - WKiernan at concentric.net