Challenger, M11,Euro-weenies

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Sun Feb 2 12:01:28 PST 2003

``..Nasa's space programme is evidence of the best endeavours of US society, unbidden scientific enterprise, just as the plans to invade Iraq are its worst...'' James Heartfield

--------

I think this is a false opposition. NASA and the military and defence policy form a spectrum---turning all physics into weapons, surveillance, and enforcement mechanisms of Empire.

The reason we are not on Mars by now is Mars has no military or economic value.

So for the next few days we will be treated to the total media exploitation of crying women brave through their tears, little children staring incomprehensively into the camera lens, and teenagers with homilies on what it all means to them. Puke.

This is a nice dress rehearsal for similar scenes soon to be depicted of the tragic loss of our boys in Iraq---shots of the marine corporal's young wife, sobbing with her babies, etc. etc. etc. Of course no mention she is soon to be evicted from base housing and tossed on welfare if she isn't on it already, and soon to be lectured on getting a job and making herself productive by some asshole social worker---news photos of `our' tragic loss long forgotten.

Cut to Bush, with grave tones on our shared sorrow, blah, blah, blah... Pig shit is much cleaner.

Chuck Grimes