RALLY FEB 12 in DC

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Mon Feb 3 09:09:28 PST 2003

[Somehow at this dire moment in history, I just can't think of this as the most urgent thing to have a rally about...]

RALLY FOR GLOBAL TOBACCO CONTROL FEB 12 NOON at Dept of Health Human Services< DC (Independence & 4th st SW)

WHY? The Bush Administration is blocking progress on the world's first public health treaty, becuase of close ties to Philip Morris.

The Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC), has the potential to set global standards on how tobacco corporations operate. Most of the world is working together for an effective, strong treaty, but the Bush Administration, with strong ties to the tobacco industry, is working to weaken some of the most crucial provisions in the treaty! (the final talks are in Geneva this month, so we have 2 weeks left to target the Dept of Health/Human Services, chair of the US delegation to the convention). The overwhelming majority of countries are moving toward a strong Framework Convention on Tobacco Control, and the US is standing in the way. This is outrageous, as 4.9 million people around the world are dying every year from tobacco-related illnesses. The US needs to stop blocking progress on the treaty!

FOR MORE INFO EMAIL dcinfact at yahoo.com or see www.infact.org