Komsomol Was Re: daily life behind the Iron Curtain

DoreneFC at aol.com DoreneFC at aol.com
Mon Feb 3 10:06:45 PST 2003

I do not think spouse's level of enthusiasm for anything to do with the Komsomol ever rose above the level showing up for school events. The only time it ever came up in conversation was when we were anwering questions about organizational afficiliation for some immigration paperwork.

Another source confirms Sasha's comments suggesting a lot of teeny bopper preoccupation with places to make out.

Now, okay, I admit it, a sample of one is a little problematic, but the phrase "luxurious resort hotels" made me laugh out loud for 10 minutes,.

During my study abroad trip, we had a couple excursions. Mostly we stayed in Intourist (state international travel agency) accommodations, but once, I believe in Pskov, we stayed in one of the Komsomol's "luxurious resort hotels."

I MAY be a spoiled American, despite ample experience sleeping when required, under my coat on a church floor. However, cleaner than average sheets and greasy sausage--along with our beets--for three meals a day falls somewhat short of my standards of "luxury." Though maybe the "luxury" consisted of staying in a place that was not crawling with the same "night life" as the Intourist places.

DoreneC