Intention (was Re: Unhooking famous violinist)

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Mon Feb 3 20:45:50 PST 2003

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> Anyway, stop with the metaphysics. It's mere entertainment, in fact
> self-indulgence, and a distraction, sort of the mental equivalent of
> spinning hula hoops. Were talking politics, and the metaphysicians are
> trying very hard to derail the conversation. "But first you must say
> what the meaning of 'is' is." Puuuleeze.
>
> jks

I think it's a misconstrual to consider my comments "metaphysical", unless you think Wittgensteinian analysis of "language games" is metaphysics (which I hope you don't). I don't really care whether or not the beetle is in the box (i.e., whether or not "intentions" really cause behavior). What I'm interested in is how the language of intentions plays a crucial role in our social relations. I agree that I'm not trying to generate a slogan to rally the masses around abortion on demand; however, I think a vigilant analysis of what we take for granted is essential.

The danger with Justin's impatience here is that he is trying to produce politically efficacious rhetoric to justify a social practice. Just a question: what if by staying in the circle of what is political acceptable we reproduce ideologies and rhetoric that perpetuate economic and social inequalities in our society? If this isn't a political question, I don't know what is.

--Am I dodging the question of how to come up with a convincing, effective "soccer mom" argument in favor of abortion rights? Yep. As I think more about it, though, I wonder how important that is. It's not like most people have rationally considered all the arguments for and against abortion, like a diligently trained philosopher/scientist, and drawn an objective conclusion based on logic and evidence. Rather than trying to change people's minds via argumentation, we should try to reinforce social relations that maintain abortion as a safe, legal activity. Just as a change in material reality in the South--integration of schools-- led to a change in consciousness, so that about 90% of whites in the South now think integrated schools are appropriate, I think attitudes about abortion will follow from material practice. We don't need to provide rigorous ethical arguments that abortion is justifiable; we need to engage in political activity to expand abortion services in our society.

Again, if this isn't political, I don't know what is. (And if it isn't clear from this post, I detest idle metaphysics even more than Justin does. Do I protest too much?)

Miles