Weekly Standard Right Wing Geek Picture of the Day

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Wed Feb 5 05:58:01 PST 2003

On Wednesday, February 5, 2003, at 07:13 AM, kelley wrote:

> At 06:51 PM 2/4/03 -0600, Jeffrey Fisher wrote:
>
>> still, don't you think it's kind of a wussy way to make political
>> decisions, to vote on testosterone? "vote for the manly men!" only a
>> girly-man would vote that way in the first place.
>
> Yeah. i think it betrays something if people are whining about
> rightnut poppin fresh doughbuoyz and geeks. My comment was a nod to
> what I thought was a crit of an ARnold mentality imported into the
> left. So, I played on how Arnold is ridiculed as an icon of the
> tendency to make training more complicated than it need to be. Arnold
> = anti-girly men; Anti-Arnold = Quitchyer Bitchin' and Butch up, Choad
> or Sleep, Eat, Shut up, and Lift. (for some anyway)

ah. i didn't read it that way, at all. i agree with your point, now that i understand it :-) with only a couple caveats, below.

> Actually, you have a greater chance of not being a doughbuoy if you
> train like sprinters or use similar principles developed in
> fartleking. Sprinters have more lean body mass than other athletes.
> (have to double check that, but i'm pretty sure that's correct)
>
> Anyway, the phrase is a response to those who make it way more
> complicated than it needs to be. Like obsessing about "the cardio
> zone".

absolutely everything i'm reading about triathlon training makes clear how much more effective and efficient training is with a heart rate monitor. you don't have to go back to the dark ages of training (you've seen "pumping iron" i presume? that was even after charles atlas) to avoid stupidly complicated training, or worse, overtraining, which is the real problem. most professional triathletes and distance cyclists, for example, are almost certainly perpetually overtrained, and that's even eating right for the training they do (which amateurs often will not). thus, the "sleep" in your mantra, above, to which you could add, "rest" -- not training as a training activity, iow.

all that said, you're totally right when it comes to lifting, afaict -- a handful of exercises do everything you really need; you don't need arnie's tome.

> I'm guitly, too: spend way too much time calculating ratios for a
> carb up. A lot of these guys just honk down 5 lbs of smarties and are
> done with it. I rightly get told, quitchyer bitchin' and butch up!

imo, that's stupid, too. there are different quality carbs, and you know it. they'll burn the sugar in 2.5 pounds of those smarties within the hour, if not all of it.

wow. found trans-health [http://www.trans-health.com/Vol2Iss3/index.html], but haven't yet found that article. very interesting.