Cool!

westrich at miser.umass.edu westrich at miser.umass.edu
Wed Feb 5 05:56:52 PST 2003

Um, what is so cool or unique about a British label and middle-aged "production team" trotting out yet another manufactured "teen sensation". (/sarcasm) Oh, they're Russian! Wow, that is so incredibly cool! If only I was a confused teenager. (/sarcasm).

They have had "underground" dance club hits for months (the surest sign of a mainstream manufactured sensation). The dance songs are moderately catchy and the song about them falling for "gay boychik" is hilarious for all kinds of unintentional reasons (as is their "sisterly lesbianism shtick"). This works a bit because it is so hackneyed its retro (given the natural Russia=Retro formula). The music is pretty bad.

For retro that works try FischerSpooner.

Jim