Weekly Standard Right Wing Geek Picture of the Day

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at sun.com
Wed Feb 5 11:28:54 PST 2003

At 11:47 AM 02/05/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>In that context, the closet gay - Marine character from
>the "American Beauty" comes to mind.

I know this is the common intepretation of that character, but I didn't think so. He was the sort of U.S. male who interprets any softness, weakness, tenderness as a sign of femininity and therefore as gayness. I always thought the scene in which he kisses Kevin Spacey was more about how he would do anything in order to get his son back....than as an expression of his repressed homosexuality. The real tragedy in U.S. culture is that a man's love for a man can only be understood as homosexual love.

Joanna