Weekly Standard Right Wing Geek Picture of the Day

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Feb 5 13:27:14 PST 2003

Joanna:
> I know this is the common intepretation of that character,
> but I didn't
> think so. He was the sort of U.S. male who interprets any softness,
> weakness, tenderness as a sign of femininity and therefore as
> gayness. I
> always thought the scene in which he kisses Kevin Spacey was
> more about how
> he would do anything in order to get his son back....than as
> an expression
> of his repressed homosexuality. The real tragedy in U.S.
> culture is that a
> man's love for a man can only be understood as homosexual love.

I agree with your last statement, but I still think your interpretation of that character is inconcistent with his other traits. This guy was an asshole and a control freak - he got what he wanted by literally beating other people into submission. If he wanted his son "back" he would simply shoot KS, which he end up doing anyway, instead of "seducing: or otherwise cajoling him. The murder, otoh, is consistent with the closet gay interpretaion - he had his moment of weakness and let his cover down but when he realized he made a mistake, he eliminated the only witness of his weakness.

Wojtek