ex-radicals?

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Wed Feb 5 14:03:59 PST 2003

> No, and The Nation has never been an anti-Communist magazine.
>
> Doug

What about when Diana Trilling ran the back of the book? Granted, Kirchwey was the editor, but Trilling was a liberal anti-commie who covered cultural matters and was not, so far as I know, terribly friendly to Stalinists, nor to McCarthyites for that matter (though I think her take on McCarthy was that he fucked up legitimate grievances against Stalinists and their pals). Might it be said that *part* of the mag was anti-commie, though from a liberal/social dem angle?

DP