lbo-talk-digest V1 #7362

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Wed Feb 5 17:20:44 PST 2003

> Grant Lee:
> >Maybe this is like some 20th C. communist ideas, i.e. either vote for the
> >party in power or conservatives because it will sharpen the class
struggle.
> >I do know a few people who think like this...
>

> It's just my opinion but I think of the people who are soft on Osama and
soft on Saddam are as being
> more like the German communists who said, "After Hitler, us" and were
therefore soft on Hitler. They
> just didn't consider him that dangerous.

Peter,

Personally I don't consider Bin Laden or Saddam as much of a danger to the world as the backlash to a US-British-Australian invasion of Iraq, authorised by the UN or not. But anyway, yes, from that interview and others with Hitchens that I've seen, heard and read over the last year, he sees his support for Bush in the same light as, say, a Trot or his hero George Orwell would have seen Churchill during WW2, the much lesser of two evils.

Regards,

Grant.