ex-radical

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Thu Feb 6 17:12:14 PST 2003

>>Peter K.:
>
>>Yes you've missed something. Since there are so many
>>fans of Hitchens hereabouts, here are some more of
>>his thoughts on the general subject. I'd be curious
>>to read your response. The "leftist flacks" bit seems
>>to have hit a nerve so it's probably best to let the
>>subject drop.
>
>Well... I actually suspect we can all survive
>discussing this a little bit further.
>
>So, at the risk of becoming tiresome, can you repeat
>whatever it is I missed? As I say, I'm looking for
>some names and quotes. I also remain curious what your
>reaction is when people refer to Christopher Hitchens
>as a leftist flack for Hezbollah and Hamas.
>
>Lastly, I'm happy to comment on what Hitchens wrote,
>but it may be a couple of days before I have time.

Take your time. I guess I wouldn't have much of a reaction if I heard or read Hitch being referred to as a leftist flack for Hamas and Hezbollah. I couldn't imagine him being referred to as a flack for Saddam or Osama which is to his credit.

If I gave you names and quotes you'd just debate their level of flackness or their representative quality. This sort of thing happens here all the time and Carrol and Yoshie are experts at it, exhibiting an amazing level of gall and chutzpah. So I would find this routine tiresome.

On the Saddam flackmeter, foreign minister Tariq Aziz would be a 10, lefties who play down how bad a guy he is and distort the reality of his history get about a 2 or 3. Those who play the double standards game and point to other bad dictators get a 1. Human shields, maybe a 4?

Peter