ex-radical

Reed Tryte reed_tryte at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 6 19:39:20 PST 2003

Peter K. wrote:

>I guess I wouldn't have much of a reaction if
>I heard or read Hitch being referred to as a
>leftist flack for Hamas and Hezbollah.

Yes, that's my point. You wouldn't have much of a reaction to such accusations because they're preposterous. They say much more about the person making them than about Hitchens.

Nevertheless, Hitchens -- like Edward Said or Noam Chomsky or Uri Avnery or anyone prominent with their position on Israel/Palestine -- is regularly accused of such things and worse.

>If I gave you names and quotes you'd just debate
>their level of flackness or their representative
>quality. This sort of thing happens here all the
>time and Carrol and Yoshie are experts at it,
>exhibiting an amazing level of gall and chutzpah.
>So I would find this routine tiresome.

Okay, fair enough. How about this: if you pledge to provide names and quotes, I pledge not to respond and debate these issues. (I think I'm the only person who's particularly interested in this, but if you'd like, I'll ask anyone else you want to pledge not to respond either.)

My only request is that you make a good faith effort to use as examples people who are indeed representative of America's left, whatever it is exactly, and who are genuine flacks. In other words, please avoid members of the WWP if at all possible, and cite individuals who truly are doing PR for Hussein, rather than people who just say they think war would be a bad idea and thus are objectively pro-Saddam.