email for peace

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Feb 7 12:05:18 PST 2003

[dunno if this is at all authentic or worthwhile, but things are desperate]

A good friend writes with an encouraging suggestion:

I just spoke to the French Mission to the UN, urging them as a U.S. citizen to vote against any resolution authorizing war against Iraq--rather than abstaining, which apparently is what the Bush administration is expecting them to do. The person who answered the phone asked if I would put that in writing--and offered to give me the mission's email address. I found this encouraging--suggesting that at least some people in the mission are arguing for casting a veto, and would like to have evidence of grassroots U.S. support for such a move. If you would like to provide such evidence, send a quick note to france-presse at un.int . You don't have to explain at length why they should veto--they would like to veto. Just tell them that you think they ought to veto too.

Here's the address for China: <mailto:chnun at undp.org>

Here's the address for Russia: <mailto: rf.mission at atnet.at>

And, again, the address for France: <mailto:france-presse at un.int>

France, China and Russia are the permanent Security Council members who oppose war with Iraq. A vote against a war resolution by any of them would defeat the resolution. Please pass this on! This may be the last best chance of preventing war.