GAO lets Cheney walk

rhisiart at mail.earthlink.net rhisiart at mail.earthlink.net
Fri Feb 7 18:51:48 PST 2003

what a government.

http://money.cnn.com/2003/02/07/news/cheney/index.htm

GAO drops Cheney energy pursuit Investigative committee of Congress decides it won't seek Cheney energy task force records. February 7, 2003: 3:15 PM EST

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The General Accounting Office announced Friday it is dropping its lawsuit seeking records of Vice President Dick Cheney's energy task force.

GAO Comptroller General David Walker said in a written statement that because of the demands of time and resources, the department decided not to appeal a federal judge's decision to dismiss the suit. He also noted that several private lawsuits are already seeking to obtain similar information.

Walker said the court's decision was rooted solely in the facts of this particular suit and would not preclude the GAO from pursuing similar actions in other cases in the future.

"We hope that GAO is never again put in the position of having to resort to the courts to obtain information that Congress needs to perform its constitutional duties, but we will be prepared to do so in the future if necessary," he said.

The lawsuit, dismissed in December, sought to reveal to the public the names of lobbyists and energy executives who consulted Cheney when he was creating the White House's 2001 energy policy.