Getting Arrested, Internal Debates, Etc. Re: ANSWER, cops, breakaways

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Feb 8 00:57:19 PST 2003

At 8:02 PM +0200 2/7/03, Kevin Robert Dean wrote:
> > See, the style of protest practiced by the WWP and its
>> front groups is the same thing preferred by other
>> sectarian groups. My friends and I call this
>> "passiveisim," to mock the sectarians who think that
>> their permitted activities are a form of civil
>> disobedience. Permitted rallies and marches are low risk
>> events that look good in pictures and enable the
>> sponsoring organization to put its leaders on the stage
>> and its propaganda machine to hawk newspapers. Of course,
>> the ineffectiveness of these actions have to be denied,
>> often with dumb comparisons to Vietnam protests, or
>> patronizing alarmist bullshit about the need for safe
>> space for women, children, old people, and illegal
>> immigrants.
>>
>> But I'm sure this is old news for most of you...
>>
> > Chuck0
>
>Oh come now Chuck...The WWP/ANSWER/IAC is bad on many levels but
>lets not condemn those people who our outraged at the prospects of
>war, but don't feel (for whatever reason) it's a good thing for them
>to be arrested.
>
>I'm sure there are quite a few people who want to have a 'safe zone'
>where they know they can be heard. Is there anything wrong with
>that?
>
>I'm not going to get into whether one tactic or another is better.
>Everyone has their reasons for doing what they do. I don't think its
>fair to condemn those who don't find getting into streetfights with
>cops is what they want to do to express themselves.

Undocumented migrants, new immigrants, international students, Arab-Americans, Muslim-Americans, African-Americans, Latinos, the poor who can't afford expensive lawyers, parents with young children, individuals with health problems, etc. have good reason to seek to avoid possibilities of getting arrested if they can help it. I'm not from the Middle East, but I've been told (long before 9.11) by local civil liberties lawyers that what the state could do to me if I got arrested would be different from what they could do to an American-born citizen. Organizers who seek to recruit activists for civil disobedience and other actions that can get them in trouble with law should be honest about possible consequences of such actions.

Moreover, why fetishize "high-risk events"? Get yourself arrested, and you'll likely put yourself out of circulation for some time (sometimes for a long time) at least, having to go through the hassles of criminal justice system, expenses, etc. (I've seen this happen myself); you'll also likely cost your friends time, money, and energy, to serve as witnesses, etc.; and depending on your circumstances, you might get yourself deported or locked up for a long time. "High-risk events" may worth the risks sometimes, but it all depends on whether the benefits outweigh the costs.

It's not as though we were on the eve of social revolution. A couple of thousands of people getting arrested won't stop the war. Those who want to organize "high-risk events" might at least make clear what they hope to accomplish by increased risks.

At 5:33 PM -0500 2/6/03, JBrown72073 at cs.com wrote:
> > I think the idea that it's dangerous to have an internal debate on the left
>because the >right might pick up on it is thoroughly ridiculous.
>
>Obviously so.

Much of the materials on Infoshop.org aren't what we might call "an internal debate on the left": e.g., <http://www.infoshop.org/myep/myep_wwp_cops.jpg>. Besides, I recall Chuck0 has identified himself as "post-leftist," so I don't think he thinks of himself and other anarchists as belonging to the same left to which WWP also belongs. Chuck0 may still debate Lou Paulsen, but the debate won't be one internal to a left to which both belong, as there can be no such left according to Chuck0's "post-leftism."

I've seen productive debates on WWP internal to a left of sorts (such as it is) on the Solidarity and Marxmail lists among other places. On both lists, there have been sharp and even fierce criticisms of WWP's theory and practice as well as qualified evaluations of WWP's accomplishments. Believe me, such internal debates have little to do with threads on WWP on LBO-talk. If we had a sense that there was a left of sorts (such as it is) to which most here -- including Chuck0 and Lou Paulsen -- belonged, we could have "an internal debate on the left." -- Yoshie