Vanishing Marxism on LBO-talk

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Feb 8 01:39:49 PST 2003

>>I might use the term historical materialist instead as it means the
>>same thing as Marxism to me, but that's unfortunately two words, and
>>it probably sounds like just a school of philosophy to most people
>>(if they know what it means at all).
>
>That's my point. That's all that's left of it: a social theory, a
>school of philosophy. Marxism means a movement. That doesn't exist
>anymore.
>
>jks

Even if Marxism could now be nothing but a social theory, I would still value it more than other social theories because of its analytical powers, but the way I see it, Marxism in the United States today is both more than a social theory that it surely also is among other things and much less than a mass movement that it was.

At 12:31 AM -0600 2/8/03, Carrol Cox wrote:
>principled

What we care about after all is not the name but the content of politics. Principled internal debates on the left are absolutely necessary, but internal debates, much less principled ones, can't happen without a sense that (A) either there already exists a sort of left to which debate participants belong one way or another or (B) debate participants are involved in a project to create such a left to which they will belong one way or another. (A) is not the case today on LBO-talk and in US politics in general (hence much of criticism of this or that part of left-wing theory and practice is external to the object of criticism). (B) might become the case, and if it does, Marxism as a social theory will likely have a role to play, though it will not be the same role that it did in the past and may still do in some nations. -- Yoshie