Vanishing Marxism on LBO-talk

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 8 10:57:57 PST 2003

It seems to me that all this handwringing about vanishing Marxism is in itself a most un-Marxist take on our current situation.

This is an amazing time in history. The US has morphed into an overtly imperialistic hyperpower and is on the verge of starting a potentially catastrophic war. Simultaneously, the US economy teeters on the edge of an abyss, ruined by decades of deregulation, privatization and speculation. At the same time, the nation's business leadership and the stock market face perhaps the greatest crises of public legitimacy and confidence ever.

All this is happening *right now*. If Marx were alive, I think he would focus wholly on trying to explain these world-historical events and have scant interest in how many followers he had at the moment, acting in the knowlege that a compelling analysis would be the surest way to attract more followers.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Help STOP SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail