suicide/homicide >tags

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 8 11:56:54 PST 2003

So what are you saying, Luke, suicide bombing lacks any redeeming merits, but maybe not, because it makes Israel have to think about negotiating? This tension shows the limits and stupidities of your utilitarianism. Here's a real life version of the "framed!" counterexample. the utilitarian has to entertain the possibility that it may be morally right, indeed morally obligatory, to blow up discoteques full of teenagers, buses carrying grandmas and babies, coffee shops packed with Israeli opponents of Sharon's policies, if that will have beneficial results. That's pretty sick, if you ask me.

But, moreover, it's manifestly untrue that the suicide bombing campaign has had good effects of thsi sort. On the contary, it has handed Sharon, a war criminal with blood up to his neck, two administrations and a mandate to do pretty much what he likes, a nd has totally marginalized the peace and negotiations party in Israel. The Intifadeh, when it was fairly peaceful (violence limited to stone throwing and the like), did put pressure on Israel to negotiate. And I don't see how any fair-minded pesron could object to Palestinian military attacks on the Israeli occupying forces, though whether these would be prudent would have be carefully assessed. But suicide bombings have been a strategic as well as a moral disaster.

jks