Vanishing Marxism on LBO-talk

billbartlett at dodo.com.au billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Sun Feb 9 05:36:54 PST 2003

At 4:08 AM -0500 9/2/03, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>(B) Historical Materialists (who think that Marxism is just a useful social theory, which is no longer and never will be again a politically relevant movement) still on LBO-talk:

Many people claim to be historical materialists, but I can't help but doubt. How do you determine whether someone is or is not?

I'm not sure whether Yoshie claims to be a materialist or not, but if so that doesn't necessarily mean it is true. You need a test, for example you could ask someone to put religion into a historical materialist context.

Justin, you just made the claim that you were a materialist rather than a Marxist, would you like to be the first take that test?

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas