camp=hip? (was Re: Vanishing Marxism on LBO-talk

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Sun Feb 9 08:56:02 PST 2003

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>I thought you would object to being in any camp, much less a
>>"Marxist Camp," except maybe in the sense of being a connoisseur of
>>Camp (as in Susan Sontag's "Notes on 'Camp'").
>
>To my occasional regret, there's little that's campy about me. I
>always feel ploddingly inadequate next to a true campmeister.
>
>Doug

Why not go peruse the Hipster Handbook for tips and lingo?

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/09/books/review/09MARINT.html 'The Hipster Handbook': The Good, the Bad and the Frado By RICK MARIN

Readers of ''The Hipster Handbook'' will come away from this thorough and thoroughly entertaining field guide by Robert Lanham with just one question: Am I deck or fin?

What ''The Preppie Handbook'' did for whale belts and synonyms for vomiting, ''The Hipster Handbook'' accomplishes for this generation's stylistic and linguistic signs and signifiers, starting with the always ephemeral distinction between the hip and the square. Here it is: ''deck -- a key word for most hipsters, similar in meaning to the antiquated 'fresh.' To be deck is to be up on the latest trends, cutting edge and/or hip. Sentence: 'That tassel we met at the gallery opening sure looked deck in her cowboy boots.' '' And: ''fin -- the opposite of deck, similar to outdated terms like 'wack' and 'lame.' Something that is fin is bad or undesirable. Sentence: 'How can you like that Vin Diesel movie? Every film he's ever starred in has been fin.' '' [...] After his glossary, Lanham gets down to the ''core elements of hipsterdom.'' Basically: clothes, music (''hipsters take their music collections very, very seriously'') and the belief that ''irony has more resonance than reason.'' In literary terms, we've been in the Irony Age for at least 100 years, but whatever. The ''history'' section follows (ironic quotation marks mine). Sappho was extremely deck, for obvious reasons. Clark Gable, however, was a frado (''frado -- an ugly guy who thinks he's good-looking''). The best entry in the history section is on Raymond Chandler: ''Um, he wrote stuff like this: 'I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it.' '' Whether the author of such a line is deck or fin goes without saying. [...] ''Cultural trends become fin the moment they hit the mainstream,'' Lanham accurately declares. And yet by that standard, much of the hipsterism he sanctions seems pretty mainstream, even if it is being ''appropriated'' (ironic quotation marks mine again). I mean, drinking cosmopolitans? Reading Harper's Magazine? And if you want to talk Tom Waits albums, ''Small Change'' is way more deck than ''Rain Dogs.'' Such quibbles, though, won't penetrate the protective pomo coating on Lanham's mirrored shades. [...] Speaking of which, some readers -- I'm not naming names -- will flip frantically to the section on the aging hipster, where it says things like, ''Nothing is more senseless than applying Rogaine to a receding mohawk.'' Ouch. Aging hipsters will be screaming themselves to sleep over that remark. Best skip ahead to Lanham's questionnaire: 30 multiple-choices designed to answer the question ''Are you a hipster?'' Sample question:

Your dream car is A. An S.U.V. B. A 70's Mustang. C. A PT Cruiser. D. A vintage Volkswagen bug. E. A Hummer.

After you've read the book, the answers are all easily guessable (Mustang and/or vintage bug). But a true hipster would never cheat. So, on a scale of 30 to minus 30, this one scored a 16, earning him the label of ''poseur.''

Poseurs are deck.