Relevance of Marxism

soil ride solrde at msn.com
Sun Feb 9 11:39:00 PST 2003

I broke this off in response to "Vanishing Marxism" as I see that there are quite a bit of different discussions emerging out of this.

I suppose I will give this a go, regardless of what others think or may label me as. Its probably not the point. The comparison between Chip's and Yoshie's lists are different and important, because I feel that Yoshie brings up the important issues that is going on today, unlike Chip's in that it draws the line between those who consider themselves leftists on various leftist personalities rather than the real issues. Marxism as both political social theory and practical program for engaging in the world around us pays the utmost respect to what is going on with the world today and addresses and applies itself to the world that is constantly changing. The focus of Marxism, as I see it, is the real world right here and right now. For those who feel that Marxism is only a social theory that has no relevance in todays world, all I can suggest is to read Marx again and take at good look at whats happening in the world today. That is to say *read* Marx, not Marxism [books on Marx or Marxism] stuck in a world of long ago...

The first part of this list can be considered and grouped as NO to Imperialism, for in every event that has been listed, imperialism has played a major role-a role that continues today in the aggressive and predatory nature of capitalist states and nations embracing globalization...

NO Hiroshima & Nagasaki NO the Korean War NO the Vietnam War NO Covert Actions in support of Mujahideen in Afghanistan NO the Invasion of Panama ("Operation Just Cause") NO Sanctions on Iraq (before the first Gulf War) NO Sanctions on Iraq (after the first Gulf War) NO Somalia ("Operation Restore Hope") NO Haiti ("Operation Uphold Democracy") NO Sanctions on Yugoslavia NO NATO Bombings of Yugoslavia NO Tribunals re: Yugoslavia and Rwanda NO Plan Colombia NO the War on Afghanistan ("Enduring Freedom") NO Operation in the Philippines (I don't know if it has a name) NO the War on Iraq (coming soon) NO Something against North Korea (after Iraq) NO Something against Chavez & Bolivarians (continuing haphazardly) NO Something against Iran (after Iraq and North Korea, maybe)

General NO Military Aid to Foreign Governments/Non-Governmental Forces NO Foreign Aid in general NO Overthrow of Elected Foreign Governments NO Overthrow of Unelected Foreign Governments NO Assassination of Foreign Leaders (elected) NO Assassination of Foreign Leaders (unelected) NO Assassination of Terrorist Suspects (foreigners only) NO Assassination of Terrorist Suspects (including US citizens) NO Indefinite Detention of Terrorist Suspects (foreigners only) NO Indefinite Detention of Terrorist Suspects (including US citizens) NO US Troops, Military Bases, Etc. Overseas NO Nukes in the USA NO A Standing Army in the USA (volunteer) NO A Standing Army in the USA (draft) NO A Standing Army in the USA (the Coast Guard only) NO IMF NO WB NO WTO NO Capitalism

Some may be shocked as to my answering of NO to Foreign Aid in general, but under present system of imperialism, foreign aid maintains a deceitful and disgusting as well as a double nature.

With the proximity of every NO that I listed, there is a proximity for every YES. This is the real task of anyone who takes a real stance in the world. That is, we are defined by what we are against, but what are we for? If we are against capitalism, against foreign invasion of other countries, against terrorism and such, what are we for? For those who see Marxism as only a social theory and nothing else, this is a dead end. And yet it is at this dead end, that Marxism begins to come to the fore of what needs to be done.

In the world that I live, Marxism is acutely, decidely and certainly relevant.

Warmest regards, Joshua

"In the world through which I travel, I am endlessly creating myself." -Frantz Fanon