Anti-war movement, Blair

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 9 12:18:06 PST 2003

>From: James Heartfield <Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk>
>
>TONY BIN LADEN
>
>In interview with Jeremy Paxman, the British Prime Minister Tony Blair
>faced down his critics over the proposed war against Iraq. Intriguingly,
>the thin-skinned Blair acknowledged that his policy was unpopular, only to
>insist that his determination was a matter of conscience for him. It would
>not matter if nobody supported him he said.

This interview seems to have played out in the media as something of a triumph for Blair because he supposedly didn't lose his cool despite hostile questioning by Paxman and the audience. This strikes me as PR-spinning at turbine velocity. At least in the snippets of the interview that I saw on the Web, Blair seemed peevish and self-pitying -- utterly unconvincing. I'm sorry that the clips I saw did not include Paxman's notorious question about whether Blair prayed with Bush, which I gather elicited Blair's most antagonistic response of all.

What I found most impressive about this interview, though, was the lack of deference shown Blair by both Paxman and the audience. There was none of the obsequiousness US Commanders in Chief expect as a matter of course from the US media and public. Yes, the American Revolution was a famous victory for sure.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Protect your PC - get McAfee.com VirusScan Online http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963